A trusted partner in progressive, grassroots organizing, Solidago has a legacy of funding bold and innovative work at the frontlines of the racial, environmental and social justice movements.
In recent years, responding to escalating assaults on our democratic system, we have sharpened our focus, turning our experience and resources to exclusively supporting civic empowerment work, particularly in communities most impacted by systemic injustices. Our grantmaking today funds voter engagement, voting rights, voter protection, and democracy reform efforts led by highly effective community organizers in key states, as well as select national organizations that support and amplify this grassroots work.
Everything we do is anchored in our fundamental belief that when communities claim their collective power and work together synergistically, they can create lasting and truly transformative change.
Our Theory of Change
We believe in the power of grassroots organizing and movement building.
We believe the strongest organizing:
- Centers people impacted by structural inequities
- Fosters community organizations and movement building networks
- Is informed by a critique of systems of oppression
- Reflects a deep understanding of the political landscape
- Is creative and collaborative
- Brings people together, including across race and class
- Offers a transformative, unifying vision for change
We believe in the power of progressive philanthropy to help strengthen grassroots organizing.
We believe the most effective philanthropy:
- Works in close partnership with groups that center people most directly impacted by structural inequities
- Engages in relational strategic grantmaking
- Is nimble and responsive
- Is willing to support innovative approaches that have not been tried before
- Can identify and uplift emergent best practices in grassroots organizing
- Is committed to help connect individual organizing efforts to existing and nascent movements and movement infrastructure